Monday, April 12, 2010

Update 4.12

Hi!

It's been a couple weeks since I've updated you so decided I wanted to write briefly.

As expected the chemo 2 weeks ago completely knocked me out. It took a long, long time to bounce back even a little so I couldn't have the second chemo. Therefore, I have (hopefully!!) had my last chemo. Woohoo!! I went in today for bloodwork to get clearance to be out and around in the world again and around germs. Thankfully I for the most part fall in the normal range and therefore I was just cleared by my nurse to do something very important: get a manicure and pedicure!!! I can't wait!!

So what does it look like from here?
1. Next week I get a scan which will serve as a baseline for future testing. I will get bloodwork done every 3 months and if an issue surfaces in the bloodwork they will do a scan to compare it to the one I get next week to see if anything shows up.
2. It has been three weeks since my blood was taken for the genetic testing. Good news is that my insurance has agreed to help pay for part of it. Bad news is that I qualify to have it paid for which means there's enough history in my family that they think I might have a genetic cause to these cancers. The result of these tests have a HUGE impact on my future and are very daunting to me. Should hear back in the next week or two.
3. Slow recovery. Every day is different. I will have pain in my abdomen and leg for 3 more months and fatigue is a huge issue. It is difficult for me to do anything before noon. And afternoons/evenings vary. Yesterday was (for me) pretty decent. Today however even the thought of moving from the couch causes my body to hurt.

Thanks for taking this journey with me. I'll keep you updated, especially on the scan and genetic testing. Additionally today I am mindful of a few friends I've met at chemo who I saw today at bloodwork. Three specifically that I've seen multiple times. Charlie is an older gentlemen who had to go to the hospital this week because his body was having a rough time. He and his daughter have crossed my path multiple times and he has a great smile. Ryan is a young guy in his second round of chemo. Though initially he was given a 90% chance of a cure, his first round of chemo failed and unfortunately he fell into 10% that didn't get the cure the first time around. Today I got to meet his wife as they headed in for chemo; I sympathize with how terrible this week will be for him and really want this second time to be the cure for him. Sue, a friend of Molly's, has also been in the chemo room with me; her husband has bought lunch for Molly and I more than once. I tear up as I feel so empathetic toward them and pray for their comfort and cure. While I'm hoping to never enter that chemo room again, my heart is with my friends who are there today and I'd love for you to pray for them too.

Love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment